Skamania County Democrats affirm the rights guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, and we expect government at all levels to champion these rights.
• We cherish freedom of speech and expression as fundamental blessings of liberty.
• We support the separation of church and state as fundamental to the protection of the integrity of both institutions.
• We support full access to public information and government which is open, transparent, and accountable to the people.
• We are dedicated to encouraging public participation in decision-making processes.
We believe that the rights of people protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of human beings only. We believe democratic principles strengthen our nation:
• Strong communities, individuals, and families are the foundation for a safe, stable and prosperous future.
• Every individual deserves the opportunity to succeed and the right to live free from discrimination.
• People of all ages should have access to quality, affordable health care services.
• We recognize that diversity in all forms strengthens our party and our nation.
• We are all responsible for the legacy we leave our children.
• We are the party of fiscal responsibility which is a cornerstone of an effective government.
We want to conserve our county's natural beauty and promote wise use of sustainable resources through implementation of best management practices including soil, water, and energy conservation, renewable energy development, wildfire management policy, fish and wildlife preservation, promotion of biodiversity, and other environmental standards while encouraging development of a strong local economy with jobs that enable families to support themselves with dignity.
Skamania County Democrats believe that public education is a cornerstone of the American Dream. We believe that education is a life-long process. Quality schools are essential to assuring opportunity, quality of life, a skilled labor force and a strong economy. Skamania County Democrats support reauthorizations of the Secure Rural Schools and Community Self-Determination Act of 2000 (Public Law No. 106-393).
Problems should be solved locally whenever possible. We believe that civil public dialogue builds strong communities and creates an atmosphere of tolerance for different points of view. We demand transparency in government processes and the utmost in integrity, accountability, ethics, professionalism, and respect for the citizenry from those who do the County's business.
We support Equal Opportunity Practices to achieve inclusiveness, diversity, and non-discrimination in all jobs, programs, services, and allocation of resources within Skamania County with respect to gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, economic status, disabilities, religious affiliation or spiritual belief, and veteran status. We support the goal of making Skamania County accessible and friendly for all.
Skamania County Democrats are committed to electing people who share our values. All endorsed candidates have accepted the fundamentals of this document as part of their endorsement.